Wednesday, April 2, 2025

"It's Liberation Day In America," Posts Trump Ahead Of Tariffs Announcement

US President Donald Trump geared up to unveil sweeping new "Liberation Day" tariffs on Wednesday in a move that threatens to ignite a devastating global trade war.

Key US trading partners including the European Union and Britain said they were preparing their responses to Trump's escalation, as nervous markets fell in Europe and America.

Trump will unveil the levies in a grand ceremony with his cabinet members in the White House Rose Garden -- just as Wall Street stocks close at 4:00 pm (2000 GMT).

"IT'S LIBERATION DAY IN AMERICA!" Trump posted a one-liner on his Truth Social platform early Wednesday.

The 78-year-old has promised so-called reciprocal tariffs on friends and foes alike if they target the world's largest economy, saying the levies will stop the United States being "ripped off."

But Trump has kept the world guessing until the last minute about the scale and scope, with the White House saying he was still "perfecting" them with just hours to go.

Reports say he could either hit countries with tit-for-tat tariffs, impose blanket 20 percent tariffs -- or, more probably, give some countries preferential treatment depending on their deficits.

The Republican president said in his last public appearance Monday that he would be "very kind" but gave little away.

- 'Tug-of-war' -

Critics say US businesses and consumers could bear the burden if importers pass on the cost, adding that the policy could increase risks of a recession.

"If this trade war continues through Labor Day (on September 1), the US economy will likely suffer a recession this year," Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, told AFP.

Trump's long-awaited announcement is also causing global turmoil, with stock markets jittery for days and countries in the crosshairs scrambling to decide how to react.

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde warned Wednesday that whatever steps other countries take "it will be negative anyway the world over."

America's neighbors Mexico and Canada, whose economies are closely linked with the United States, are those that could suffer the most from a bruising trade war.

"I understand that it's a game of tug-of-war," truck driver Alejandro Espinoza told AFP as he waited in a queue to cross the Mexican-US border. "But unfortunately, we're the ones who pay in the end."

Major economies have however vowed retribution

The European Union will react to new Trump tariffs "before the end of April," said a French government spokeswoman.

The 27-nation bloc's initial salvo would counter US actions on steel and aluminum, followed by sector-by-sector measures.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who has made intense but so far fruitless efforts to win a carve-out from Trump, said a "trade war is in nobody's interests."

"We have prepared for all eventualities -- and we will rule nothing out," he told parliament.

- 'Rebirth' -

Germany warned Wednesday that trade wars hurt "both sides."

Canada's Prime Minister Mark Carney, who goes into elections later this month dominated by tensions with Trump, said his country would be "very deliberate" in its response.

The White House said Trump's tariffs would come into effect "immediately" after Wednesday's announcement, effectively ruling out delays for negotiations.

Sweeping auto tariffs of 25 percent are due to take effect April 3, after Trump earlier imposed duties on steel and aluminum imports and goods from China.

But Trump has wobbled on several other tariff announcements since returning to office in January, blinking at the last minute with allies such as Canada and Mexico.

The billionaire has had a long love affair with tariffs, insisting in the face of experts that they are a cure-all for America's trade imbalances and economic ills.

Trump insists the levies will bring a "rebirth" of America's hollowed-out manufacturing capacity, and says companies can avoid tariffs by moving to the United States.

The tariffs meanwhile underscore the growing and profound gulf between Trump's America and many of its closest allies, not only on trade but on security, defense and almost everything else.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/RiFJe8f

Labels: ,

Live: Trump To Announce "Liberation Day" Tariffs, How Will They Affect India?

US Tariff Announcement Live Updates: US President Donald Trump is set to impose sweeping new  "Liberation Day" tariffs on Wednesday, a move that could spark a global trade war. 

The 78-year-old President will unveil the measures and plans in the Rose Garden of the White House at 4pm EST (1.30am IST) and the new duties would take effect immediately. A separate 25% global tariff on auto imports is scheduled to take effect on April 3.

According to think tank Global Trade Research Initiative (GTRI), the new tariffs could significantly impact Indian exports. A uniform tariff could leave India facing an additional tax of 4.9% compared to the current 2.8%, impacting sectors like agriculture, electronics, and pharmaceuticals, according to the GTRI's "Reciprocal Tariffs and India" report.

Early Wednesday, Mr Trump posted a one-liner on his Truth Social platform: "It's Liberation Day in America!"

Mr Trump for weeks has said his reciprocal tariff plans are a move to equalise generally lower US tariff rates with those charged by other countries and counteract their non-tariff barriers that disadvantage US exports. Global markets have been jittery for days ahead of the announcement, while countries most likely in the crosshairs have called for talks - even as they ready retaliatory measures.

Here are the Live Updates on US President Donald Trump's announcement on tariffs:



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/J3t5QMm

Labels: ,

Tuesday, April 1, 2025

As India-China Ties Turn 75, New Delhi Reminds Beijing Of "Lessons" Learnt

  1. Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri was the chief guest at the Chinese Embassy in New Delhi, which organised an event to celebrate 75 years of establishing India-China ties. Chinese Ambassador Xu Feihong and the Indian Foreign Secretary cut a cake on the occasion before speaking about the relations between the two Asian giants.
  2. In his nearly seven-minute speech, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri highlighted the "lessons" for both nations to keep in mind in order to foster stronger ties. He began his speech by saying, "Even tough, as modern nation states, we have had only 75 years of formal ties, India and China have shared cultural and civilizational ties and people-to-people contacts going back millenia."
  3. He spoke about significant "contributions by personalities such as Bodhidharma, Kumarajiva, Xuanzang, and Rabindranath Tagore," towards fostering historical India-China relations. He added that "Our two civilizations have, each in their own unique way, played a significant role in shaping human history. This holds a lesson for contemporary ties."
  4. Speaking about the second lesson, Mr Misri said, "In the last few years, India-China relations have gone through a difficult phase. But largely, due to the guidance by our leaders, and untiring efforts by the political leadership, military leaders, and diplomatic colleagues, who maintained communications throughout this time, our two countries have resolved several issues along the border areas. This too, holds a lesson for us (China and India) - which is that peace and tranquility in the border areas is critical for the smooth development of our overall bilateral relations."
  5. He went on to say that "It is on the basis of this fundamental understanding, which was shared in the meeting between PM Modi and President Xi Jinping in Russia, that both nations are now working together to chart a roadmap for our bilateral relations, to return to a stable, predictable, and amicable path."
  6. Sharing specifics about the efforts made at the political, military, and diplomatic levels, the foreign secretary highlighted that "In the last 5 months, we have had two meetings between the foreign ministers - in November, 2024 and February 2025. Our Special Representatives (SRs) for the India-China boundary question met in Beijing in December, 2024 for the 23rd round of SR-level talks. After a gap of nearly five years, our Defence Minister met with his Chinese counterpart in November, 2024, and I (foreign secretary) had the opportunity to visit Beijing in January, 2025 and had a very productive meeting with my counterpart."
  7. India and China, he said, have decided to take several steps to "resume practical cooperation between our two countries. Amongst the first of these, is the resumption of the Kailash-Mansarovar yatra this year," he said, adding that "We are also discussing the resumption of cooperation on transport and rivers, and on direct air services."
  8. He noted that these steps are important and foremost in order to restore mutual trust between the two nations and enhance people-to-people ties. Highlighting the responsibility that the two major economies must live up to, Mr Misri said, "As two large neighbours in an important part of the world, a stable bilateral relationship between our nations will contribute to humanity as a whole. Let us take this 75th year milestone as an opportunity to rebuild our ties."
  9. Before concluding his speech, the foreign secretary spoke about the "third lesson" for both nations to keep in mind. "The durable basis for rebuilding our ties is the three-fold formula of mutual respect, mutual sensitivity, and mutual interest."
  10. In his closing remarks, the foreign secretary acknowledged that "The path forward may be a difficult one, but one that we are prepared for", adding that "It is on the basis of these steps that we have already taken in the last five months, that we have seen promising beginnings" at the end of seven-and-a-half decades. This, he said, should now be "turned into tangible benefit" for the people of our two countries.


from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/9stPCE8

Labels: ,

All Local Workers, US Diplomats To Be Fired From USAID: Report

Elon Musk's cost-cutting team is finalizing the dismantlement of the US Agency for International Development, ordering the firings of thousands of local workers and American diplomats and civil servants assigned to the agency overseas, two former top USAID officials and a source with knowledge of the situation said on Tuesday.

On Friday, Congress was notified that almost all of USAID's own employees are being fired by September, all of its overseas offices shut, and some functions absorbed into the State Department.

The latest move by Musk's Department of Government Efficiency effectively will eliminate what is left of the agency's workforce.

"This is definitely the final closing out," said one of the former senior USAID officials.

US President Donald Trump and Musk in February began the process of shuttering USAID and merging its operations into the State Department to ensure they conformed with Trump's "America First" policies. The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The former officials and source familiar with the situation said on condition of anonymity that USAID's human resources office told regional bureaus in a conference call that layoff notices were going to all of the more than 10,000 locally-hired foreign nationals, effective in August.

Notices also will be sent to US diplomats and civil servants assigned to work abroad for what has been the leading US foreign aid provider for more than 60 years, they said.

Trump has claimed without evidence that the agency was rife with fraud and run by "radical left lunatics," while Musk falsely accused it of being a "criminal" organization.

Thousands of USAID's own staff were placed on administrative leave - they received layoff notices on Friday - hundreds of contractors fired and more than 5,000 programs terminated, disrupting global humanitarian aid efforts on which millions depend.

According to the non-partisan Congressional Research Service, USAID maintains missions in more than 60 countries, with most of its funds going to humanitarian aid and health programs.

Top recipients included war-torn Ukraine and Democratic Republic of Congo, US ally Jordan, and the Israeli-occupied West Bank and the combat-shattered Gaza Strip.

A summary of the conference call circulated by one regional bureau and reviewed by Reuters confirmed the terminations of all locally-hired foreign nationals and American diplomats and civil servants on assignment with USAID abroad.

It said more than 600 US diplomats are on secondment to USAID overseas, but provided no figure for the number of US civil service members. Most are to be terminated in July, when the intent is to close "all programmatic work."

"Every position eliminated; 100 percent of the agency is rif'd (Reduction in Force) or will be," the summary said, and advised personnel that no one would be retained and to "focus on things to make sure you're getting the right benefits."

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/wTIMSRP

Labels: ,

US Admits To El Salvador Deportation "Error" As Alarm Deepens Over Policy

Donald Trump's hardline immigrant policy faced fresh scrutiny Tuesday after officials admitted an "administrative error" in the hurried deportation process had sent a man to a notorious El Salvador prison.

The president's administration is pursuing a sweeping drive against migrants -- a key campaign promise -- touting the move as a crackdown on gang members and other violent criminals.

But mounting claims that a number of individuals have flimsy or no connection to organized crime has prompted anger among rights groups, Democrats and even some Trump allies, including the influential podcaster Joe Rogan.

A court filing Monday said a Salvadoran man was living in the United States under protected legal status until he was flown to El Salvador with hundreds of other alleged gang members earlier this month.

Abrego Garcia was accused of being a gang member in 2019 but not convicted of any crime, and a judge ordered he should not be deported because he could be harmed in El Salvador.

In Monday's court filing, government lawyers admitted he had been deported in March in an "administrative error," adding that US courts did not now have jurisdiction to secure his release.

A separate reported case of a gay barber being deported has attracted US media attention, and attorneys for several deportees say their clients were targeted only because of their tattoos.

Rogan said Saturday it was "horrific" that innocent people could be swept up in the push to deport gang members.

"You got to get scared that people who are not criminals are getting lassoed up and deported and sent to El Salvador prisons," he said.

"Let's get the gang members out. Everybody agrees. But let's not (see) innocent gay hairdressers get lumped up with the gangs."

Vice President JD Vance on social media claimed that Garcia was a member of violent Salvadoran criminal gang MS-13.

"The media has determined the real victims are the gang members we're trying to get out of the country," he said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/I461geZ

Labels: ,

Monday, March 31, 2025

Stop Attacks On US Ships Or Face "Real Pain": Trump Warns Houthis, Iran

US President Donald Trump vowed Monday that strikes on Yemen's Huthis will continue until they are no longer a threat to shipping, warning the rebels and their Iranian backers of "real pain" to come.

Trump's threat on the Truth Social network comes as his administration battles a scandal over a chat between senior US officials on the Yemen strikes that was accidentally leaked to a journalist.

It also comes amid a sharpening of Trump's rhetoric towards Tehran, with the president threatening that "there will be bombing" if Iran does not reach a deal on its nuclear program.

"The choice for the Huthis is clear: Stop shooting at US ships, and we will stop shooting at you. Otherwise, we have only just begun, and the real pain is yet to come, for both the Huthis and their sponsors in Iran," said Trump.

Trump added that the Huthis had been "decimated" by "relentless" strikes since March 15, saying that US forces "hit them every day and night — Harder and harder."

"Our attacks will continue until they are no longer a threat to Freedom of Navigation," he said on his social network.

In recent days, Trump has repeatedly insisted on what he calls the success of the US strikes on the Huthis whenever he is asked about the so-called "Signalgate" scandal that has rocked his administration.

The Atlantic magazine revealed last week that its editor was mistakenly included in a chat on the commercially available Signal app as top officials discussed the Yemen strikes.

The officials, including Trump's National Security Advisor Mike Waltz and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, revealed details of air strike timings and intelligence.

Trump has rejected calls to sack Waltz or Hegseth and branded the scandal a "witch hunt."

"This case has been closed here at the White House as far as we are concerned," White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Monday.

Waltz and Hegseth both reposted Trump's Truth Social message about the Huthis on Monday.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/bhd5NZx

Labels: ,

Pak Advocacy Group Recommends Imran Khan's Name For Nobel Peace Prize

Jailed former prime minister Imran Khan has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts for human rights and democracy. Members of the Pakistan World Alliance (PWA) - an advocacy group founded last December - who also belong to the Norwegian political party Partiet Sentrum, announced the nomination of Khan, 72.

"We are pleased to announce on behalf of Partiet Sentrum that in alliance with somebody with the right to nominate, have nominated Imran Khan, the former prime minister of Pakistan, to the Nobel Peace Prize for his work with human rights and democracy in Pakistan," Partiet Sentrum said on X on Sunday.

In 2019, Khan was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to promote peace in South Asia.

Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee receives hundreds of nominations after which they select the winner through a lengthy eight-month process, The Express Tribune reported.

Khan, also the founder of Pakistan's main opposition Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party, has been incarcerated since August 2023.

This January, Khan was sentenced to 14 years in prison in a case related to the misuse of authority and corruption.

It was the fourth major case in which the former premier has been convicted.

Three earlier convictions related to selling state gifts, leaking state secrets, and unlawful marriage were overturned or suspended by courts.

Khan lost power after a no-confidence vote in April 2022. He denies all charges against him, calling them politically motivated.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/DBJbCp5

Labels: ,